England one-day captain Eoin Morgan and opening batsman Alex Hales have opted out of October’s tour of Bangladesh because of security concerns.
No international side has toured Bangladesh since 20 people were killed in a siege at a cafe in Dhaka in July.
The ECB said in August that the three one-day internationals and two Tests would go ahead after a security review.
Jos Buttler will captain the one-day side, with the one-day and Test squads to be named on Friday.
‘We respect their decision’
England director of cricket Andrew Strauss said: “Whilst we understand and respect Eoin and Alex’s decision, we are disappointed that they have made themselves unavailable for selection for the Bangladesh tour.”
He added that after “open and honest” discussions with all the players, no further withdrawals are expected.
Stuart Broad, Moeen Ali, Chris Jordan and Liam Dawson have publicly said they will tour.
Last week, Strauss told BBC Test Match Special that anyone who does not travel is giving a chance to another player.
England fly out on 29 September, with the one-day series starting on 7 October and the Test series on 20 October.
They follow that with a tour of India made up of five Tests, three ODIs and three Twenty20s.
What has Morgan said?
Morgan, 29, said this week that he would never go on a tour where security concerns may affect his game.
“In 2010 we played an Indian Premier League game in Bangalore and a bomb went off in the ground. Immediately we left and went straight to the airport,” he said.
“Another one was playing domestic cricket in Bangladesh during political elections and things were incredibly violent.
“Given that no-one has toured there since the terrorist attack adds a bigger decision to it.”
Analysis: What does this mean for Morgan & Hales’ futures?
BBC Sport cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew:
“Morgan has never expressed any positive views on making this tour, so his decision to pull out is not a surprise.
“In his explanation, Morgan refers to a bomb blast in Bangalore in 2010, an incident that profoundly unsettled him, as did civil unrest in Bangladesh.
“It won’t be lost on Strauss, though, that Morgan has returned to play in both countries since.
“However, having guaranteed that players’ futures will not be affected by this decision, it’s difficult to see Morgan losing the captaincy, as has been suggested in some quarters.
“Hales has effectively given another opening batsman the chance to take his place in Test cricket, although his future in that form was doubtful anyway.
“After a record-breaking summer, he’s sure to return to the one-day team in India.”
‘It should be a personal choice’
England bowlers Andrew Caddick and Robert Croft pulled out of the tour of India in 2001 because of safety concerns following the 9/11 attacks in New York.
“I was adamant I didn’t want to go and stuck to what I thought was right,” Caddick told BBC Radio 5 live’s Sportsweek programme before Morgan and Hales’ announcement on Sunday.
“It’s slightly different now. The security they implement in world cricket is quite high, whereas back in 2001 it wasn’t.
“Eoin Morgan has experienced risks to security in the past – nobody else in the England team has. It’s a personal decision and it should stay that way.”
Former spinner Graeme Swann, who was part of the England squad that returned to India after the Mumbai bombings in 2008, said he would not travel to Bangladesh if he was still playing.
“We’re a western team, going to a country where there’s terrorism against the west,” he said.
“We are a massive beacon. We are a target. If I was in that situation I wouldn’t go.
“If you don’t go and someone goes in your place, there’s a chance you might not play again.”
What does the Foreign Office say about Bangladesh?
The Foreign Offices says there is “a heightened threat of further terrorist attacks” in Bangladesh, although a similar threat level applies to many European cities, including London.
It says “foreigners, in particular westerners, may be directly targeted” and that “places where westerners are known to gather may be at higher risk of attack”.
It advises travellers to Bangladesh to “minimise exposure to these areas” and “remain vigilant, monitor local and social media and follow any specific advice of the local security authorities”.
Australia postponed their Test tour of Bangladesh in October 2015 over security concerns.